Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A love poem by Henry Ford


He wrote it to his wife Clara, in 1890, two years after their marriage.


To Clara

Drops of water and grains of sand.
Snowflakes and drops of dew.
The liquid ocean, the crystal land.
The stars in ether blue.
Things of beauty live beneath the skies,
There's nothing so bright as my loved one's eyes.

The foam-flecked lake, the forest green.
The mountain with snow-white crest,
The cascade that foams through the wild ravine.
Down the gray cliffs rugged breast
Beautiful all i their native grace,
Yet nothing as fair as my darling's face.

The fountain (illegible text) river and sill
The (illegible text) mist and seas -
The fern-clad glen and the moss-clad hill,
And the waves on the distinct shores.
Things of glory on sea and land,
Yet nothing so dear as my darling's hand.

The beautiful flowers that dot the dell,
And deck the mountain side.
The violet primrose and heathersbell,
With nature's glories dyed.
Where the hummingsbird sings and the honeybee (illegible text)
Are never so sweet as my darling's life.

Bright eye, fair face, white hand of my dear,
Oh red rife lips so fragrent with love.
Like Eden it seems when my loved one is near,
And I catch a glimpse of the heaven above.
Oh there's nothing so sweet in the realm of bliss,
As the tender glow of my darling's kiss.

From Henry


This poem is in the public domain
found on page:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Henry_Ford_love_poem

Text is available under the Creative Commons 
Attribution/Share-Alike License


No comments:

Post a Comment